Saturday, June 20, 2009

pie makin' apron

After looking over my long list deciding what I should do next, I thought it would be fun to do a quick project something that isn't on my list. So I took a thrifted pillow case and turned it into an apron. I have been reading this blog recently and decided to participate in it's latest theme Pie Makin' Apron. I made this pie twice already and the one I ate was amazing! I was out picking more rhubarb to make another, but it started to rain on me so I will have to get more later. The apron was simple, I serged the edges, added a long tie, and used some of the left over ruffle for a pocket. It is pretty long, so I like that it can tie either above the waist or above the bust. It sure is great for makin' some strawberry rhubarb pie:

preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

place in the pie shell: 4 cups diced pink rhubarb. (it's really a
recipe for rhubarb pie. i think i probably used maybe half rhubarb, half strawberry, totalling 4 cups.)

combine and beat:
1 cup sugar
3 egg yolks (save the whites for later)
0.5 cups all purpose flour
3 tablespoons milk
optional 3/4 tablespoon nutmeg

spread these ingredients over the rhubarb.
bake 20 minutes at 400
degrees, then reduce the heat to 350 degrees and
bake another 5-10 minutes.

MEANWHILE, while the pie is baking, make the meringue...
whip until frothy: 2 egg whites
add: 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
whip them until they are stiff, but not dry;
until they stand in peaks
that lean over slightly when the beater is removed.
beat in, 1 tablespoon at a time:
3 tablespoons sugar or 4 tablespoons confectioners sugar
do not overbeat. beat in: 0.5 teaspoons vanilla

AT THIS POINT, the pie should have been at
350 degrees for 5-10 minutes.
it still has 10-15 minutes to cook,
but you want the meringue to cook
for 10-15 minutes. so take out the pie,
spread the meringue on it, and
stick it back in the oven for 10-15 more minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment